Book An Appointment
Please Feel Free To Contact Us. We Will Get Back To You With 1-2 Hours.
1 (877) 287-2520
Tests and Treatments Available
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)—also known as sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)—are infections that can be transmitted through sexual contact, especially when it is unprotected. This includes vaginal, anal, and oral sex. STIs are caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites, and can cause a range of health problems if left untreated. In this article, we’ll explore the different types of STIs and how they can affect a person’s health.
Types of STIs
There are many types of STIs, including:
- Chlamydia: Chlamydia is a bacterial infection that can cause pain during sex and discharge from the penis or vagina. It can lead to infertility in women if left untreated.
- Gonorrhea: Gonorrhea is another bacterial infection that can cause painful urination, discharge from the penis or vagina, and pain during sex. If left untreated, it can lead to infertility in women and men.
- Syphilis: Syphilis is a bacterial infection that can cause sores on the genitals, mouth, or anus. It can lead to blindness, paralysis, and even death if left untreated.
- Herpes: Herpes is a viral infection that can cause painful sores on the genitals, mouth, or anus. It is a lifelong infection that can cause outbreaks throughout a person’s life.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV): HPV is a viral infection that can cause genital warts and can lead to cervical cancer in women.
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV): HIV is a viral infection that attacks the immune system and can lead to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). There is no cure for HIV, but there are medications that can help manage the virus and prevent the progression to AIDS.
How STIs Can Affect a Person’s Health
STIs can have a range of health effects, depending on the type of infection and how long it goes untreated. Some common health effects of STIs include:
- Infertility: If left untreated, some STIs can cause infertility in both men and women.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID): This is a serious infection of the female reproductive organs that can lead to infertility, chronic pain, and even death.
- Cervical Cancer: HPV can cause cervical cancer in women if left untreated.
- Blindness, Paralysis, and Death: If left untreated, syphilis can cause blindness, paralysis, and even death.
- Increased Risk of HIV: Having an STI can increase a person’s risk of contracting HIV if they are exposed to the virus.
How To Prevent STIs
The best way to prevent STIs is to practice safe sex. This means using a condom every time you have sex, getting tested for STIs regularly, and limiting your number of sexual partners. You can also reduce your risk of STIs by getting vaccinated for HPV and practicing good hygiene.
At Community Care Resources of Florida (CCRSFL), we are dedicated to delivering the highest quality of care to those in our community by providing excellent medical services, therapy, and outreach to individuals affected by sexually transmitted diseases, HIV, hepatitis C, and/or substance abuse. We strive to deliver healthcare with compassion and affordability to all.
Since our foundation, our goal has been to serve our Altamonte Springs, Hallandale Beach, and Haines City communities by providing access to care and resources that help our patients become healthier through safer practices with their partners. We have qualified technicians available to serve you. If you’re interested in our services, you can book an appointment on our website or call us at 1(877) 287-2520!
Contact any of our offices if you need testing and treatment.
106 Boston Avenue Suite 204
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
280 Patterson Road, Suite 3
Haines City, FL 33844
1008 West Hallandale Beach Boulevard
Hallandale Beach, FL 33009